Connectivity is not all that the internet provided us with today. It brought along several serious mental and physical illnesses. I won’t get into how Anxiety and Depression are an effective cause of the excessive use of the internet. Rather today my main focus will be on SELF-OBSESSION And Narcism. What these terms mean and how Social Media has evolved into a gateway to self-obsession?
Getting Into The Definitions
Self-Obsession also known as Narcism is to be self-centred, selfish, mean, highly admiring for one-self and their physical appearance.
But this isn’t all. The feeling grows to develop into becoming a parasite in order to feed the urge to be entitled, appreciated, and stay elevated whatever may the cost be.
How Is Social Media Becoming A Gateway To Self-Obsession
Firstly, most of the social media Apps i.e: Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram etc. now offer a feature of sharing ‘Stories’ it is as if a constant engagement of you with the social world. And when you are always surrounded by an audience you are bound to prove yourself the best. And unconsciously we get dragged into this struggle in proving to be the best.
- It diverts our focus from more important tasks.
- It creates fake standards to live up to.
- It tells people too much about you that have multiple disadvantages of its own.
Secondly, they have made it way too easy to access. You have your food served and all you have to do is click, snap and send!
Wolah! you successfully made Ayesha get jealous because you are at a place she can’t afford, showed your crush how cheesy you look, informed your stalker where you at right now. And mission accomplished! Self-Esteem raised 20 points and infinity to go!
Thirdly, these Apps have such engaging features. For instance, Snapchat’s never-ending innovative filters. Even if you try your best to stay away from them either this kind of stuff will drag you in or the community pressure will make you use it for no good or simply curiosity plays its part!
What To Do:
Believe me, these are all tactics to engage as many audiences as possible. Of course! it’s their business to do so, they have to earn from it. But it is you who has control over what to trade and what not!
- Delete the unnecessary Apps; WhatsApp is a mean of communication, Instagram And Facebook may be sources of business transactions but purely entertainment Apps such as Snapchat are of no use. People need NOT to know what you had for LUNCH!
- Meditate. And while doing so sort out things, prioritize them, first classify between what’s important to you and what is not. And surely people’s perspective of you is not at all important!
- Tell your beloveds to help you on your journey towards a better sociological, psychological and physical health. And if they are sincere to you they will be completely supportive or may join you as well!
- Get yourself Apps like ZenScreen. To monitor and control your screen time especially the time you spend on social media apps. Set a limit to it and you may not want to delete them after all.
Hope this article makes you realize what you are missing on life with those who are significant while sharing it with the non-significants. And how unconsciously you are being affected by the adverse engagement social media has kept you in for proving yourself to the world. GET OUT OF IT RIGHT NOW!
Comment if you are ambitious to start your journey from today!