The Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication (MoITT) has embarked on a comprehensive plan, envisaging the implementation of “Digital Pakistan” removing barriers to ICT growth.
Official sources revealed that the ministry has devised a comprehensive plan to improve efficiency, transparency, and effectiveness in Government related transactions, which is also aligned with government’s vision of “Ease of Doing Business” and aimed to remove constraints on the development of ICT infrastructure and services.
IT Ministry Embarks on Digital Pakistan Agenda
Some of the key points of the plan, which the government intends to implement in the current year, are;
- Cyber Governance Policy for providing full ecosystem and institutional governance mechanism on the crucial subject has been prepared and will be submitted to approval for after stakeholder consensus. The policy focuses on realizing the full potential of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) for socio-economic development by assuring availability, confidentiality, and integrity of the critical infrastructures and information systems and to provide for reliable, secured, and resilient cyberspace for users, without compromising on national security.
- Activation of Digital Transformation Committee under the chair of the PM for top-level ownership. Under this initiative, the ministry wants to drive the Digital Pakistan agenda as finally concluded by the PM’s taskforce and implementation of e-Office suite across the Federal Government.
- Institutional Reforms and Restructuring both at Ministerial level and associated entities of MoIT&T to achieve sector growth and maximizing its socio-economic contribution to society. Under this initiative, the ministry intends efficiency, transparency, and effectiveness in Government related transactions. Reform will be geared to align ICT sector governance to yield growth and provide stability.
- Finalization of Right of Way Framework and Competition Rules for the telecoms industry. The agenda is aligned with Government’s vision of “Ease of Doing Business” and aimed to remove constraints on the development of ICT infrastructure and services.
- Formulation of recommendations by the Prime Minister’s Taskforce on IT & Telecom through working of specific subgroups and their subsequent implementation. Impact on Service Delivery will be efficiency, transparency, and effectiveness in Government related transactions and promotion of IT/ITES services/exports. Outputs will be particularly focused on export growth and employment generation through ICTs.