Facebook is striving hard to promote women safety. For that reason, Facebook is kept on introducing many privacy tools. This time Facebook Introduces New Privacy Tools For India to Promote Women Safety. This new feature will give users more control over their profile pictures.
Facebook Introduces New Privacy Tools For India to Promote Women Safety
Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer (COO) at Facebook, said;
We’ve heard from many women in India that they don’t include their faces in profile pictures because they worry about how other people might use their photos. Our teams have listened to people’s concerns and worked with Indian non-profits focused on safety like the Centre for Social Research (CSR) India and the Learning Links Foundation. We learned that when someone adds a design to a picture, people are 75 percent less likely to manipulate it.
According to Facebook, people in India can add a blue border and designs to their profile pictures. This border and design do not allow others to download and share that picture.
Now people in India will have the option to add protective blue borders and designs to their profile pictures. These act like a guard, blocking people from downloading, sharing, taking screenshots, or sending the photo in a message.
We must do all we can to protect women online and off — because when you take care of women, you take care of society.
Here is what this feature will do
- People in India will see a step- by –step guide to add an optional profile picture.
- Other people will not be able to share, download or send the Facebook profiles pictures in the message.
- People who are not friends on Facebook won’t be able to tag you in the pictures.
- Whenever it’s possible, it will prevent others from taking the screenshot of your profile picture.
- It will also display a blue border shield around your profile picture as a visual cue of protection.
Indeed, it is a good initiative taken by Facebook. We expect that soon this feature will be available in countries as well.