There are a large number of Pakistanis living abroad who used to carry one or more mobile phones free of customs duties whenever they came to Pakistan. However, now it will not be the case. Pakistan’s Minister of State for Finance, Revenue and Economic affairs announced that now overseas Pakistanis will only be able to take just one phone in a year without paying tax/custom duty.
Overseas Pakistani can Bring Only One Phone to Pakistan Without Paying Tax
Maximum five number of Phones can be brought to Pakistan according to the personal baggage rules but they will have to pay duty on other four handsets. It should be mentioned here that duty of extra four phones will be paid if one stays in Pakistan beyond 30 days.
Pakistan IT Minister Fawad Chaudhry all the mobile phones brought in Pakistan illegally after December 1st will be blocked by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) within the interval of 30 days i.e till 31st December 2018.
Total Five Phones can be Brought to Pakistan per-anum
All the mobile device which are active till December 1, 2018, with any Pakistani mobile network will stay in service afterwards. Counterfeit mobile devices that are active till December 1, 2018, on any Pakistani Mobile network will be paired with their respective mobile number and will also stay in service afterwards. After December 1, 2018, before buying any new or used device, mobile users should verify the device by checking its IMEI number. As Dirbs deadline is now confirmed and Unregistered Mobile Phones to be Blocked after December 1 in Pakistan, so people will be more vigilant before buying a new phone.
If people will buy a new or used the phone after this date, they should insert Sim and sent its IMEI number to 8484 to know about the legal status of the device.
Here’s How to check IMEI of the phone before buying:
Step 1: Extract the IMEI number of Your Device:
In order to extract 15 digit IMEI number, dial *#06# in your mobile dial page. IMEI number is also mentioned on the box of your device.
How to know if the Phone has a Valid IMEI
Step 2: Check if the device is registered or not:
Once you get your 15 digits IMEI number then you will be able to know that whether your handset is registered or not. You can check it via website, SMS or Android application.
- If you want to check via Web then visit http://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/ > enter 15 Digit IMEI number > Press ‘Check’
- If you want to check via SMS then write a new message > type your 15 digits IMEI and send it to 8484
- If you want to check through Android application then download the Android app. Install the DIRBS app on your smartphone > Open app > enter 15 digit IMEI number.
Step 3: When you enter your 15 digits IMEI code/ number, you will receive one of the following messages.
- PTA Approved or Compliant: If you receive any of this message it means you can use your device.
- Not PTA Approved or Non-compliant: If you receive this message it means that the device you have is non-complaint and you cannot use it with any mobile network of Pakistan.
Note: PTA will block/deactivate Smuggle mobile devices (customs duty not paid), after 30 days. So, in order to bring the tax-free phone in Pakistan, bring only one device in a year.