PTA has introduced Device Identification, Registration and Blocking System (DIRBS) in order to identify and block the smuggled and unregistered mobile phones. However now, in order to facilitate consumers wanting to register their mobile devices’ IMEI, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) through Cellular Mobile Operators (CMOs) has made mobile registration service available at CMOs’ franchises nationwide.
List of all franchises & customer service centers is available at https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/facilitation-center.
PTA Now Made Mobile Registration Service Available at CMOs’ Franchises Nationwide
PTA is already carrying out an extensive awareness campaign to educate masses on DIRBS. Moreover, PTA is sending informatory SMS to all mobile subscribers to notify the status of their mobile device(s) in use on Pakistani cellular mobile networks.
For all Pakistani mobile device users wishing to know the status of a device can send each 15 digit IMEI number via SMS to 8484. The status of the mobile device can also be checked via PTA website link www.dirbs.pta.gov.pk or by downloading DIRBS android mobile application.
Following are some of the methods for obtaining a mobile device IMEI
- Dial *#06# from the dial pad of device and note down each 15-digit IMEI
- IMEI is printed on the device box.
- IMEI is printed on the inside of a device and can be viewed by removing the back cover/ battery.
DIRBS system will send one of the following four responses to IMEI query as explained below:
- Compliant/PTA Approved Device: The mobile device is PTA approved and legally imported into Pakistan
- Device IMEI is Valid: The IMEI of this mobile device is valid as it is GSMA approved, but it is not PTA approved. To facilitate such users, PTA will auto register all such IMEIs which are observed on Network.
- Non-compliant Devices: This is not a PTA approved mobile device as IMEI on the device is either non-standard, duplicated, etc. To ensure users of all such devices do not face any connectivity/service issues PTA will auto-pair all such IMEIs, which are observed on mobile network
- Blocked devices: The IMEI is reported as stolen and not allowed for usage/services.