BIG NEWS!The familiar Nokia brand, is returning to the mobile space to make Android-powered smartphones and tablets. The news was confirmed in a press release from the company, which is now owned by HMD. HMD is a new company set up to enable the revival of Noki in the smartphones and tablet market. Nokia has confirmed it will be releasing at least three Android phones before the close of 2016. Nokia is making a smart revival with a new smart phone.
Nokias Smart Phone Revival
For long we’re all familiar with Nokia. In the 90’s, key manufacturers like Nokia and Motorola were the only dominant names in the industry who made phones with iconic features, which are still devices much-loved and often used even today.
Mike Wang, president of the joint management team, Nokia China, confirmed the news to Chinese press officials.
Of the three phones coming, two will be “flagship” handsets, meaning high-end specs and high-end features. As of right now the two flagships are rumoured to feature: 5.2 and 5.5-inch QHD OLED displays, Snapdragon 820 processors, 22.6MP graphene cameras, metal construction, water and dust resistance, and Android 7.0 Nougat.
The other phone will be a cheaper, mid-range model similar to the Moto G4, no doubt.
With the emergence of smartphones, the likes of Nokia and Motorola took a back seat for a time, while Apple, Samsung, and others pretty much took over. Nokia took a gamble and got involved with Microsoft on the Windows Phone project, a decision which ultimately didn’t pay off and resulted in Microsoft buying up Nokia’s smartphone division.
Specs for New Nokia Flagship Smart Phones
New reports circulating on November 24 have revealed a set of specs for the upcoming Nokia flagship phones. Some of the details are;
- a QHD display, and possibly two variants at this resolution with 5.2in and 5.5in displays,
- both models will have 2K display resolutions
- waterproofing on a metal bodyshell,
- Carl Zeiss camera optics (as per older Nokia models),
- a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor.
- metallic build which will re-introduce Nokia’s distinctive build and design qualities of lastyear
- IP68 waterproofing certification on both handsets.
- the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor is name-dropped for both devices too,
Nokia 2017 Plans for Expanded VR Leadership and Digital Health
- For 2017, Nokia talks about plans for “expanded VR leadership”,
- “Digital Health” branding is also mentioned, probably capitalising on the Withings acquisition.
- health and fitness wearables are also expected from Nokia
- There’s also talk of further “patent licensing expansion in mobile, automotive and consumer electronics