Pakistan Mobile Phone Imports Surge 209% to $1.462bn in 10MFY24

The mobile phone market in Pakistan is experiencing a significant surge, with imports skyrocketing and domestic production showing promising growth. Here’s a breakdown of the key trends:

Pakistan Mobile Phone Imports Surge 209% to $1.462bn in 10MFY24

Import Boom:

  • Massive Increase: Pakistan imported mobile phones worth a staggering $1.462 billion during the first 10 months (July 2023 – April 2024) of the current fiscal year. This represents a whopping 209% increase compared to the same period last year.
  • Month-on-Month Growth: The trend seems to be accelerating, with April 2024 showing a 5.44% increase in mobile phone imports compared to March 2024.
  • Year-on-Year Spike: Compared to April 2023, imports in April 2024 witnessed a phenomenal 1,424.42% increase, highlighting a significant shift in mobile phone consumption.

Local Manufacturing on the Rise:

  • Early Signs of Success: While imports dominate the market, local manufacturing is making strides. In the first two months (January-February) of 2024, Pakistani factories produced 6.1 million mobile handsets.
  • Outpacing Imports: This domestic production surpassed commercially imported phones (0.3 million) during the same period, indicating a potential shift towards local manufacturing.

Telecom Sector Growth:

  • Overall Increase: Pakistan’s telecom sector is experiencing a broader boom alongside the mobile phone surge. Overall telecom imports reached $1.834 billion during July 2023 – April 2024, a 135% increase compared to the previous fiscal year.
  • Strong April Performance: Similar to mobile phones, telecom imports in April 2024 witnessed a significant year-on-year increase (515%) compared to April 2023.

Market Composition:

  • Smartphone Dominance: Data from the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) reveals that smartphones hold a significant share (60%) of the Pakistani mobile market. Feature phones, primarily relying on 2G technology, account for the remaining 40%.

Challenges and Opportunities:

  • Import Restrictions: Despite the import surge, challenges exist. Restrictions on opening Letters of Credit (LCs) have impacted the import of mobile accessories.
  • Shifting Landscape: The rise of local manufacturing alongside a growing mobile phone market presents exciting opportunities. This could lead to increased affordability, job creation, and potentially a reduction in reliance on imports.

Looking Ahead:

Pakistan’s mobile phone market is undergoing a dynamic transformation. The significant growth in imports, coupled with the rise of local production, paints a picture of a rapidly evolving market. With increasing smartphone penetration and infrastructure improvements, the future of mobile technology in Pakistan holds immense potential.

See Also; Pakistan Banks Join Forces to Boost Digital Economy

PTA Taxes Portal

Find PTA Taxes on All Phones on a Single Page using the PhoneWorld PTA Taxes Portal

Explore NowFollow us on Google News!

Onsa Mustafa

Onsa is a Software Engineer and a tech blogger who focuses on providing the latest information regarding the innovations happening in the IT world. She likes reading, photography, travelling and exploring nature.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Get Alerts!

PhoneWorld Logo

Join the groups below to get the latest updates!

💼PTA Tax Updates
💬WhatsApp Channel

>